Undergraduate Advising

Prospective/Transfer Students

  • Can I take a course at a junior college and transfer it in to UNT? Which courses are equivalent?

    Yes, course equivalencies can be found at the back of the academic guides (links at the top of this page) for each major. 

    Please also see the UNT transfer guides here.

    Taking courses at another school is considered concurrent enrollment. Please stop by the College of Engineering advising office on the first floor (Discovery Park A101) to get any courses for concurrent enrollment approved to make sure they will transfer properly.

    IMPORTANT - If you are "getting your core out of the way" at a 2-year college, PLEASE also take math and programming courses. Otherwise you get to UNT and can take only a few courses, since you do not have the pre-requisites for more advanced computer classes. Getting your core done before starting on major courses or math courses is the number one cause of spending 9 years in college. Don't be Van Wilder!

  • I am thinking of attending UNT soon and want to see how my existing credits will transfer

    As a transfer student, you will attend an orientation session prior to attending classes. During this session, you will meet with an advisor that will look over your transcripts (please bring them, along with any course descriptions if applicable) and place you into appropriate courses at UNT. After your grades at another school are final, a transcript from this College or University need to be submitted to the UNT Registrar's office in the ESSC building so that UNT is aware of your credit.

    If you are transferring into the IT major, courses in a cohesive area (for example, Cisco networking courses and other networking / security related courses) will transfer into the IT supporting area.

    If you are transferring into IT, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering, computer programming courses (using a language such as C, Java, Python, etc.) will generally transfer as CSCE 1030 (and CSCE 1040 if a second course is completed). Any upper division courses will be evaluated during the orientation session.

Details of the Majors

  • I would like to change my major or add a minor

    If you are changing your major FROM computer science, computer engineering, or IT to something outside the department, you should visit the department that you would like to change TO. Majors changes to CS, CE, or IT can be processed by sending an email to cseadvising@unt.edu. To add a minor to an IT, CS, or Computer Engineering major, please visit the College of Engineering Advising office on the first floor of Discovery Park (Room A101).

    You should check the differences in the majors in the academic guides at the top of the page or meet with the department advisors in Discovery Park F201 during drop in hours before making your decision.

  • I'm going to double major!

    Double majors are usually not a good idea, unless you really want to and they are in related fields. For example, a double major in Computer Engineering and Math is beneficial, but in those 6 years, you could have a bachelor's degree and a master's degree, which would probably serve you much better.

    When double majoring, you have to take all of the courses required by the major. For example, if you were a math major and decided to get a second bachelor's in computer science, you need to take 2 Technical Writing courses, both Physics courses, Digital Logic, etc.

    Please note that it is not possible to double major within the department. For example, you cannot double major in IT and Computer Science.

  • Should I add a minor as a Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or IT major?

    A minor usually adds 18 hours to your course load. It is not necessary, but many Computer Science and Computer Engineering students minor in Mathematics, since it is two additional math courses for Computer Science majors and one additional math course for computer engineers.

  • What are the differences in the majors (Computer Science, Computer Engineering and IT)?

    Our department offers IT, CS, and CE. Electrical engineering and Engineering technology (a more hands on program) are offered in other departments in Discovery Park.

    Information Technology is a bachelor of arts degree that offers more flexibility, fewer math and science requirements, and a supporting area that can be outside of computer science. Many people with course credit in another area will receive more transfer credits in this major. This is more of an applied major, focusing on topics such as database management, project management, and web development. BA in IT Catalog (current year) from catalog.unt.edu

    Computer Science is a bachelor of science degree that focuses on software development and algorithms. If you want to create apps, games, or study networking, AI, or software development, Computer Science is the major for you. BS in CS Catalog (current year) from catalog.unt.edu

    Computer Engineering is a bachelor of science with heavier math requirements that focuses more on hardware and embedded systems. If you want to study circuits, real-time and embedded systems, and computer architecture, Computer Engineering is a great choice. BS in CE Catalog (current year) from catalog.unt.edu

    The intro courses for all 3 majors are identical. You will take the programming and foundations courses in all 3 majors. (CSCE 1030, 1040, 2100, and 2110). You can check out the academic guides at the top of this page for each major to get an idea of the classes required for each major.

  • What classes do I need for a computer science minor?

    The minor requirements are listed at catalog.unt.edu here.


  • Can I do an internship or a co-op?

    You can get co-op course credit, but the co-op must be approved by your employer and the department. For information on co-ops and internships, the best place to start is the Co-op and Internship office on the first floor of Discovery Park in Room C111. This is a satellite office of the main campus co-op and internship office in Chestnut Hall Room 155. Their phone number is 940-565-2861.

  • Can I get credit for AP exams?

    Yes, the tests and the equivalent courses are listed here. Please remember that you will need to submit your AP scores to UNT - more information can be found here.

  • Can I test out of Computer Science I or another course?

    The department does not offer credit by exam. It is possible to take the final for a course and then be permitted to take the next course. For example, you can take the CSCE 1030 final, and if you get a certain score, you can enroll in CSCE 1040. You do not receive credit for CSCE 1030, you will just replace it with another course.

    Please do not inquire about this unless you have significant programming experience and are confident in your ability to pass the final. Please contact the instructor for the course.

  • I'm going to take Physics at Cozumel Community College Online!

    The College of Engineering is strict on science transfers. If you are taking a course at another school, please be sure to get this concurrent enrollment approved ahead of time in the College of Engineering advising office on the first floor of Discovery Park (Room C104). Physics classes must be Calculus based Physics, and science transfers must be the course that majors would take, with a laboratory component.

  • My degree audit says to take CSCE 2050 (or another course), and I can't find it in the catalog.

    Occasionally, courses are replaced with a different course, and the old course is no longer offered.

      This Course

      Was Replaced With

     MATH 1780

     MATH 1680 or 1681 (for IT majors only)

     MATH 2770

     CSCE 2100 or 2110 (take 2110 if you have credit for CSCE 2050)

     CSCE 1035

     CSCE 3220

     CSCE 1045

     CSCE 3420

     CSCE 2050

     CSCE 2100 or 2110 (take 2110 if you have credit for MATH 2770)

     CSCE 2615

     CSCE 4444

     CSCE 4355

     CSCE 4350

     CSCE 3535

     CSCE 3530

     CSCE 3605

     CSCE 3600

    Please also see the section on catalog years for more information.

  • What are the pre-reqs for a class? If I don't have them can I still take a class?

    All course descriptions and pre-reqs are in the catalog. It is found at catalog.unt.edu here

    You need to complete the pre-requisites for a course that you want to take. In extraordinary circumstances, you can contact the instructor of the course for a waiver to the pre-req. If approved, the instructor can email the department office to add you to the class. These are only approved in a few circumstances. Advisors cannot approve pre-req waivers.

  • What can I take for my Computer Engineering Specialty Area?

    You need to pick three classes from one of the 4 Computer Engineering specialty areas of your choice. The specialty areas are listed in the academic guides linked at the top of this page.

  • What can I take for my IT Supporting Area?

    The IT supporting area is composed of 3 CSCE classes and several courses from CSCE or a related area (the supporting area). The academic guide for your catalog year (link at the top of this page) contains several suggested areas, but these are just suggestions and you have a lot of flexibility, as long as all of the courses form a cohesive area of study.

    For example, if you choose multi-media production as your IT supporting area, you could take courses in non-linear editing, sound recording, etc. Pre-requisites for these courses will also count in your supporting area. For the three related CSCE courses, you would then choose three courses related to this area. For this example, those would be from computer graphics, game programming, and AI, networking, or a directed study in that area. The supporting area is declared during your degree audit. If you have a question about whether a course works for the IT supporting area, you can email cseadvising@unt.edu or stop by the Computer Science and Engineering department (Discovery Park F201) during drop-in advising. Your bowling credit probably isn't going to work.

  • What classes should I take?

    Download the academic guide for your catalog year and major from the links at the top of this page. Check out the page that lists the required courses. Any course that you don't already have at UNT or somewhere else that you have the pre-requisites for that fills in a blank on this page is a course you will eventually need. The pre-requisite chart in the academic guide will help with the required pre-reqs.

  • What is a Directed Study?

    Directed Study is a one-on-one class that you pre-arrange with a professor. It requires an R-53 form from the Computer Science and Engineering front office and a permission number from the Professor to register. You should first contact a professor to see if they have any available directed studies.


  • How do I drop a class?

    You will need to get the drop form from the department office and get it signed by your Professor. Then, return the white copy to the registrar's office. Please remember that drops cannot be processed beyond the last day to drop, which is on the UNT academic calendar.

  • I can't register for a class

    This can be caused by a few things.

    If it is not your time to register (based on your classification — Junior, Senior, etc.) The specific times are here.

    If a class is full, there is no way to add the class through myUNT and there is nothing the office can do to get you into the class. Please keep checking back in myUNT. People frequently change their schedules, and many people often drop a class, particularly during the payment period. The other option is to seek an override in person during the first week of class. This is for people who need the class in order to graduate. The override period will be announced via email and posted at the department office.

    If your pre-requisites were transferred from another school, myUNT may not recognize them when it checks the pre-requisites. If you know you have or will have the pre-requisites to a course you are trying to register for, please email cseadvising@unt.edu with the details, including the course and the section number you are trying to register for (Ex: CSCE 3410.002), and your UNT ID number. Please do not email unless you will have the proper pre-reqs (see here).

  • I have a question related to my financial aid

    Every source of financial aid is different and has different requirements. You should only get advice on financial aid from the UNT financial aid office.

  • I need an advising code to register

    You might find that you need an advising code to register for your courses. Please read and follow the instructions below depending on the reason the advising code is needed.

    Alert, Probation, or Suspension Status: You are required to meet with a College of Engineering advisor in person to get your code. You can schedule an appointment by contacting one of the colleges advisors. Contact College of Engineering advisors by clicking here or call +1 (940) 565-4201.

    Orientation: If you are a new, transfer, or transient student, you will need to attend new student orientation in order to get your code. Click here for more information about orientation, or call +1 (940) 565-4198.

    Keep in mind, there are other reasons you might need an advising code that are not listed. If you are having issues, contact the College of Engineering advisors by clicking here or call +1 (940) 565-4201.

  • When do I register for classes?

    It depends on your classification. The specific times are here.

    Please register at the earliest possible opportunity to ensure that you get your classes before they fill up or are cancelled due to low enrollment.

  • Which courses are offered each semester?

    Course availablility can vary somewhat based on instructor availability and courses not having enough students to form.

    Summer course offerings usually include the intro courses (CSCE 1030, 1040, 2100, 2110) and popular upper division courses such as CSCE 3110. Summer schedules are usually released in April and depend more heavily on instructor availability. Most CSCE summer courses are full semester (10-week) courses.

Degree Audits

  • IMPORTANT - What is my Catalog year?


    Your catalog year is the catalog under which you entered the University. The set of rules for this catalog is fixed and will not change during your time at the University. If you follow these rules, you will graduate.

    As an example, let's say you are on the 2010-2011 catalog for Computer Science (this is referred to as the 2010 catalog). The 2011-2012 catalog has a few different required courses (for example, CSCE 2050 was replaced with CSCE 2100), but you are required only to take those courses under the 2010 catalog. Sometimes, a course is replaced with a new course and the old course goes away or is no longer offered. In these cases, you will just substitute the new course in your degree plan (In this example, if you don't already have CSCE 2050, you will now take CSCE 2100). Please see the section on substituted courses.

    You can move forward to the current catalog year if you choose (by visiting the college of engineering advising office in Room C104 on the first floor of Discovery Park). You must then follow the set of required courses for this new catalog, with the same substitutions (CSCE 2050 will count as CSCE 2100, etc.).

    In general, it is best to stick with the catalog that was in place when you entered the University, unless you have a compelling reason to switch to the current catalog. Your catalog year is recorded during your degree audit, where the classes that you have taken are applied to your catalog.

  • What is a Degree Audit or a Degree Plan (They are the same thing), and where can I get one?

    A degree audit or plan is an official document of the University. It is based on the classes required to graduate for your catalog year in your major. It lists all the courses and requirements you need to complete your degree, and how the courses you have completed are applied. Once you have filed a degree plan (it will appear in your myUNT student center), you should follow it to plan your classes, as this is the official record that UNT uses to determine eligibility for graduation.

    The best time to file a degree audit is after you have completed the college of engineering core (listed in the academic guides at the top of the page), as you transition to upper division courses (those that start with a 3 or 4). You must complete an audit before you can graduate. If you transfer to UNT with computer related credit, it's good to file the audit the first semester to see how your classes correspond to the UNT equivalents.

    You must bring a copy of your unofficial UNT transcript and copies of transfer transcripts (you can get them all from the UNT Registrar's Office in the ESSC building) to drop in advising at the department office in F201 as well as catalog descriptions of all courses completed at other universities/colleges if the course is obscure or has a description like Computing 4 that doesn't indicate what the course covered. It will take 3-4 weeks to process your audit, and it will then appear in the myUNT student center, where you can see all of the details and play 'what-if' games with various scenarios.


  • I need some help!

    Please read this entire guide first! If you have a quick question, you can email cseadvising@unt.edu. This is not to make advising appointments (please see below).

    Questions about core credit, general registration, and lower division CSCE courses (those that start with a 1 or a 2) can be answered at the College of Engineering advising office in Room C104 on the first floor of Discovery Park. Their number is 940-565-4201.

    If you need a degree audit, have questions about upper division classes (those that start with a 3 or 4) or career planning, please see the departmental advisors in the CSCE department office on the second floor of Discovery Park (Room F201). You can drop in without an appointment during advising hours, which are posted on the front of the department office. The phone number of the department office is 940-565-2767.


  • How many semesters do I have before graduation?

    It depends on quite a few factors. Are you taking summer courses? Are you going to take 12 hours next semester or 18? Are you going to have to repeat any courses? Are you going to add a minor? Will you choose a course that is only offered in the Spring or Fall?

  • I'm trying to graduate next semester. What do I need to do?

    At the very start of the semester that you anticipate graduating, please stop by the College of Engineering Advising office on the first floor of Discovery Park where you can fill out all of the necessary paperwork. Please remember that the deadline for filing for graduation is close to the start of each semester and listed on the UNT academic calendar.