Graduate Advising

Our advisors are here to assist students with concerns about their degree progression.


If you have questions specifically related to you & your educational career, it's important to meet & discuss with your advisor. To do so, you must schedule an appointment with them by email. Advisors will work with you to find an appropriate time to meet. NO walk-in advising will be allowed. Below is the information for each advisor:

View our CSE Graduate Handbook

For general CSE advising/admissions questions, you may contact the Department at



Graduate Advising

  • 01) Do I need a degree plan?

    Yes! You need an approved degree plan by the end of your second semester to be considered for assistantships and to be able to graduate. Below is the link to the degree plans. Choose the appropriate one that applies to you and follow the instructions on the webpage. You will be notified if there is an issue with your degree plan, or if it has been fully approved. Allow 4-6 weeks for processing.

  • 02) How many and which courses do I need to take for my degree?

    Nonthesis: 33 credit hours are needed to complete your degree

    Thesis: 30 credit hours are needed to complete your degree

    Depending on your major, specific courses may or may not count towards your degree. In general, you want to take CSCE 5000-lelvel courses, however, this can vary depending on your major. Please visit the link below for further details regarding which courses to take for your major.

  • 03) What is Academic Probation?

    A graduate student is placed on academic probation at the end of the initial period of enrollment if the CGPA drops below 2.67. A graduate student is placed on academic probation at the end of any subsequent term in which the CGPA falls below a 3.0.

    A student who fails to achieve the required cumulative average of 3.0 GPA (B average) on all courses carrying graduate credit in a term/semester will be placed on academic probation for the subsequent term/semester. If the student achieves a 3.0 semester GPA in the subsequent term/semester, but the cumulative GPA is still below 3.0, the student will remain on academic probation. The student will be removed from probation when the 3.0 cumulative GPA is achieved. A student who is on probation cannot apply for graduation and cannot graduate.

    For more information visit:

    Graduate Student Support | College of Engineering (  

    Academics - University of North Texas - Acalog ACMS™ ( 

  • 04) What are the consequences of Academic Probation?

    A graduate student who is placed on academic probation and who does not receive either a semester or a cumulative 3.0 graduate GPA during the term/semester of probation will be subject to academic suspension for a period of up to one calendar year before becoming eligible to reapply for graduate and enroll for further graduate courses. After the one-year period of suspension, students may re-enroll in graduate courses under probation. Students who are then suspended a second time without having returned to good academic standing by achieving a CGPA of 3.0 or better will be dismissed from the university. Programs are not required to readmit students who left the university on probation or suspension and reapply.

    The student whose UNT GPA in graduate work falls below 3.0 must make up the deficit, either by repeating courses in which the grades are low, or by completing other UNT courses with grades high enough to bring the UNT GPA up to 3.0. Low grades made in graduate courses at UNT may not be duplicated at other institutions.

    For more information visit: 

    Graduate Student Support | College of Engineering (

    Academics - University of North Texas - Acalog ACMS™ (

  • 05) How can I change my major?

    To clarify, a change of major is an application, so it is not guaranteed. You can change your major to a major within our department (CS/CE/AI/DE/CYBR) AFTER you have completed your first semester with finalized published grades and have completed 9 credit hours towards your current major. Any change of major applications submitted beforehand will be denied. You can submit a change of major application with the link below.

  • 06) What do I need to start my Thesis?

    Before starting your thesis, you must discuss it with one of your professors. If a professor decides to support your thesis, that professor will become your Major Professor. Your Major Professor can guide you on which courses to take and how to approach your thesis going forward!

  • 07) What is a Pass-Through Masters?

    A Pass-Through Masters allows PhD students who do not yet have a Masters to get one while doing PhD work! It is a great opportunity as students can get both a PhD and a Masters at the same time! You must submit a Pass-Through Masters degree plan at the same time you submit your PhD degree plan. If you submit a Pass-Through Masters degree plan after you have submitted your PhD degree plan, you will be ineligible for a Pass-Through Masters. Once you have completed all your PhD coursework, you will be awarded your Pass-Through Masters along with your PhD!

  • 08) What do I need for my QER?

    A QER, or Qualifying Exam Results, is a necessary part of the PhD program. You must have an approved PhD degree plan on file before sitting for your QER. You must also discuss with your committee on a time and place for your QER. You can contact the department at to reserve a room if needed.

  • 09) What do I need to start my Dissertation?

    To start your dissertation, you must have passed your QER and have an approved a PhD degree plan on file. After the Toulouse Graduate School approves your QER, you are eligible to enroll in dissertation hours! Contact the department at if you are having enrollment issues with dissertation hours.

  • 10) How long do I have to finish my Masters or PhD?

    You have up to 5 years to finish your Masters, and you have up to 8 years to finish your PhD.

  • 11) I am a transfer student from a different university. How do I transfer my credits?

    First, you must be a currently enrolled student to start the credit transfer request procedure. We do not review credit transfer requests from students outside our university. Next, you must submit your degree plan (for more info, see #01 under Graduate Advising section). Afterwards, you will need to complete the form below and send it back to us. If you are requesting more than one credit transfer request, submit a separate form for each class. To see which UNT classes are equivalent, refer to the course catalog for the current year. There, you will need to compare the class you took at your previous university to an equivalent CSCE 5000+ level class based on course description. Afterwards, attach the syllabi of the classes you took and submit the form back to us for review. You are allowed 2 credit transfers (6 credit hours) if approved. There is no guarantee that your credit transfer request will be approved. Send your completed forms to and allow 12-16 weeks for processing.

    If you are a PhD student, please contact the department at before you start your credit transfer request.

  • 12) How do I contact my advisor?

    Advisors are here to assist students with concerns about their degree progression. To meet with an advisor, you must schedule an appointment with them since no walk-in advising will be allowed. You can schedule an appointment by emailing the advisor and working with them to find an appropriate time. Below is the information for each advisor:

    For CS Advising: 

    Candace Eckwright is the Graduate Advisor for CYBR and CE: 

    ***Anne Bavousett is the Graduate Advisor for AI and DE:

    ***You can schedule a meeting with Anne through Navigate. The other advisors are not yet on Navigate, so you must email them first.


International Student Questions

  • 01) What is the procedure for attaining an internship/CPT?

    Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an academic program allowing students to participate in an internship, training, or employment for credit.

    The Deadline for submission of 8W2 Spring 2023 CPT forms is: March 6th.



    Please ensure that your employer is a registered employer though Handshake. Please ensure that your internship is listed in Handshake. Internships not found through Handshake will NOT be allowed.

    Please follow the link to complete an experience form on Handshake:

    Select one of the following Experience Types:

    • Undergraduate Degree-Seeking Students: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and IT Internships (Undergraduate for-credit)
    • Graduate Degree-Seeking Students: Computer Science & Engineering Internships (Graduate for-credit

    Attach a copy of your Offer Letter, Employer Form, and Advisor Form to your Handshake Experience.

    CPT Eligibility Criteria:

    • You must have completed two long semesters. Spring and Fall are considered as long Semesters. Summer is not a long semester. You are not eligible to do CPT in your very first semester.
    • You must have maintained F-1 status to be eligible for CPT.
    • If you have completed your degree requirements, you are ineligible for CPT and must apply for OPT.

    Important Information:

    • If you are working Part Time (20 hours or less a week) at your internship, you must be enrolled as a full-time student i.e., 9 credit hours Graduate
    • If you are working Full Time (more than 20 hours a week) at your internship, you can be enrolled as a Part Time student. You may just enroll in the internship class. You do not need to be enrolled in other classes for that semester.
    • CPT for shorter periods of time does not affect your OPT eligibility. Part-time CPT does not affect your OPT eligibility either. You only lose your OPT if you complete one year or more (365 days or more) of full-time CPT.
    • Students who work on campus for 20 hours a week may also work part-time CPT (20 hours or less).

    -The student’s total work hours for each type of employment (on campus and part-time CPT) may not exceed 20 hours while school is in session.

    -Please keep in mind, this is only for students who will have part-time CPT.

    -This does NOT apply to full-time CPT students. Students who are authorized for Full Time CPT cannot work on campus.

    • CPT is approved for each Semester, and you MUST apply for a new CPT I 20 each semester.
    • If it is too late to register for the course, then it is too late to apply for CPT for that particular semester.
    • You cannot do CPT if you are finished with all of your degree requirements. You must apply for OPT. You MAY NOT extend your program just for CPT.

    CPT Application Process

    • Consult with the Career Center to begin the process of searching for an internship.
    • Find your internship on Handshake.
    • Ensure your job offer is an Internship Offer letter, not a full-time job offer.
    • An internship job offer must contain a specific start date, a specific end date, a specific employer, a specific location where your work will be performed, a reference to the number of hours per week you will work and a description of your position duties. The job must be in your Major field of study.
    • If your employer is not registered or your job offer is not listed in Handshake, please contact the UNT Career Center for instructions on how to register your internship in Handshake.  
    • DO NOT begin employment prior to the start date.
    • DO NOT continue employment after the end date.
    • CPT dates should align with specific Semester session dates i.e., Full Term, 8W1 or 8W2. 5W sessions will not be considered for CPT.
    • UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS: Complete the Employer Form and the Advisor Form: F-1 Curricular Practical Training | International Affairs (
    • GRADUATE STUDENTS: CSCE Graduate students must use this Advisor Form for advisor approval: CPT-Form.pdf ( .
    • Submit your forms by attaching your Offer Letter, Employer Form, and Advisor Form to your Handshake Experience for processing and signing of the Advisor Form by the Advisor.
    • Forms submitted directly to the department via email will not be allowed.
    • Undergraduate students will be enrolled in Cooperative Education course CSCE 4920 for 1 credit hour.
    • Graduate students will be enrolled in Internship course CSCE 5932 for 1 credit hour.
    • You CANNOT drop the internship class once your CPT has commenced even when the internship is cancelled or terminated. Dropping the internship course once you have started your CPT is a violation of your F1 status.
    • After your Employer and Advisor Forms are completed and signed, submit your CPT request, and upload your CPT forms through iNorthTX.
    • An immigration advisor will review your CPT request and you will receive an email confirmation with a CPT I20 that has Off Campus Work Authorization on pg. 2 once your request has been processed.

    Allow 5 -7 business days for processing or even longer during peak periods in the CSE Department.

    Applications are processed in 5-7 business days in the International advising office.


    Following CPT Completion:

    • To receive a credit for CPT you have to write a report of your internship experience and submit it to the CPT Advisor at the end of your internship.

    • Report your experience! After you complete an internship, student teaching, practicum, co-op, study abroad, or service learning, it’s important to complete this form. 


    Visit the International  webpage for additional information

  • 02) What is the procedure for attaining an OPT?

    You must complete your degree requirements to be eligible for OPT. Once you have met the criteria previously mentioned, refer to the OPT guide with the link below.

  • 03) What happens if I am unable to arrive in the country/university by the time courses start?

    If you are unable to arrive in the country/university by the time classes start, you have a small grace period of arrival time. You can fill out a late arrival form with the link below:

    However, if you miss the deadline of the grace period, you must defer your application. Keep in mind that if you have been already admitted and you update/defer the term of entry on your application, your admission will be revaluated. Your application will be reviewed with the current pool of applicants, meaning another admittance for the updated/deferred term cannot be guaranteed.

  • 04) What do I need to do if I am not going to be enrolled as a full-time graduate student?

    If you do not intend on being a full-time graduate student (enrolled in 9 credit hours), you must submit a Less Than Full Time Enrollment Request form. The link below leads to the iNorthTX portal, which is where the appropriate form is located

  • 05) I would like to know about my immigration status. Who do I contact?

    For all questions and concerns regarding your immigration status, please contact the International Office at

General Help