Graduate Financial Assistance

Graduate Assistantships

Assistantships provide financial support for many graduate students. A limited number of financial assistantships in the form of Teaching Assistant/Fellow (TA, TF) and Research Assistant (RA) are available in the department to potential new students in each regular (Fall/Spring) semester.  There are generally more opportunities in Fall than in Spring. 

Teaching assistantships are funded by the department, and research assistantships are funded by individual faculty research grants. Only doctoral students and master's students who select the thesis option are eligible for teaching or research assistantships. Out-of-state and international students who are funded at least half time are eligible for in-state tuition rates.  Funding levels for these positions may be found here.

Students must submit a completed Assistantship Application Form (available from the CSE department or online at the link below) and make sure their complete admission application has arrived at the university by the appropriate deadline. Positions will be posted in Handshake each semester and students will need to complete both the Handshake application AND the department assistantship application.

Assistantship Application Form 

To receive priority consideration, applications must be submitted in ApplyTexas before the following deadlines.

Fall Semester: January 15th
Spring Semester: September 15th

Scholarships for Graduate Students

Listed below are for graduate students only. Also check the undergraduate scholarships page, some of which may be offered to graduate students as well.

Department of Computer Science and Engineering

UNT College of Engineering

University of North Texas

General Scholarship Programs

Graduate Travel Grant

The department will fund up to $500 to an applicant presenting at a conference. We also encourage students to contact the Toulouse Graduate School and the College of Engineering for more travel funding options. Please submit completed form to This form must be submitted prior to travel.