GenCyber Teachers Camp
The goal of the UNT GenCyber Teacher Camp is to increase the cybersecurity expertise of middle and high school Computer Science/STEM teachers so that they can introduce a cybersecurity curriculum into their classrooms. Our camp centers on Cybersecurity Foundations and emphasizes cybersecurity as a helping profession that impacts many aspects of society.
The camp is sponsored by GenCyber, the National Security Agency (NSA), and the National Science Foundation (NSF).
Participant Eligibility Requirements
- Must be a middle/high teacher who teaches computer science or STEM-related courses
- Must be able to attend 5 in-person sessions scheduled in Denton, or Flower Mound, TX (to be determined soon based on availability of space)
- Must be able to attend pre-camp and post-camp activities (24-30 hours virtual or in-person)
- Must be willing to complete post-surveys at the end of the camp
How to Apply?
Application Deadline for 2023 Summer Camp: January 15, 2023 (CLOSED)
Accepted teachers who complete the program will receive
- The opportunity to learn about Cybersecurity topics to teach to their students
- $900 stipend for 5 days.
- Dates of in-person training sessions:
- June 10th, 2023
- June 16th, 2023
- June 17th, 2023
- June 23rd, 2023
- June 24th, 2023
- One iPad and case
- Lunches at the 5 in-person meetings
- Parking permit
- Virtual support (zoom sessions and office hours) for pre-camp and post-camp activities
- A certificate of completion
- The opportunity to be part of program that has a strong emphasis on collaboration with other highly motivated teachers
Once an applicant has been accepted to the program, a response from the applicant, either accept or decline, must be received within five days of the date of the offer letter. Successful applicants must complete and sign a Participation Agreement form prior to starting the program. Each participant must commit to participate in assessment activities before and after their experience.
If you have questions, please contact: Hyunsook.Do@unt.edu or Renee.Bryce@unt.edu
- Dr. Hyunsook Do, Program Director
- Dr. Renee Bryce, Lead Instructor
- Dr. Jacob Hochstetler, Instructor
- Dan Blier, Instructional Design Expert, and Lead Learning Specialist
- Tanesha Hollingshed, K-12 Pedagogical Expert
- Zul Khoja, Instructor
- Vinh Quach, Student Staff
- Mohammad Ghobadi, Student Staff
Saturdays: UNT campus (Discovery Park, Room F218): 3940 N Elm St, Denton, TX 76207
Fridays: Fidelity, 1 Destiny Way, Westlake, TX 76262